Healthy nutritious snack food is important to any healthy diet. This is an updated list with more ideas than the original 25 healthy snack ideas.
I realized that when I wanted a snack, not only was I hungry, but I wanted texture. Smooth and sweet or crunch and salty. I am still mourning the fact that organic toaster pastries are not a healthy choice, but I am finding better snack choices.
I’m always on the lookout for great snacks, so submit your idea below to add to this list!
Healthy Nutritious Snack Food
2. Hard boiled egg
3. Yogurt– Plain with a teaspoon of fruit spread
4. Plain yogurt parfait: Yogurt layered with fresh fruit. Add a few chopped walnuts for some crunch
5. Glass of Milk
6.”Baked” cinnamon apples — put sliced apples in the microwave for 2 minutes until soft. Top with cinnamon.
7. Fruit smoothie
8. Frozen (no sugar added) fruit
9. Frozen fruit popsicles
10. Yogurt stick, frozen, with NO high fructose corn syrup (try Stonyfield Farm Organic)
11. Power Bar — I prefer Clif Luna bars or Zbars for the kids.
12. Healthy blueberry muffin
13. Moist pumpkin muffins
14. Best zucchini muffins
15. Pureed frozen fruit, especially no sugar added frozen mango (great in the summer–it’s like sherbet).
2. Sugar snap peas and carrots with hummus
3. Edamame beans
4. Pear slices with 1/2 oz of blue cheese
5. Cottage cheese and apples
6. Peanut butter and celery
7. Peanut butter and crackers
8. Peanut butter on a banana
9. Crunchy peanut butter on apple slices (thanks Bj)
10. Cashew butter on crackers with fruit
11. Peel and slice a banana in half lengthwise. Spread each slice with 1 tsp soy or sunflower seed butter. Top with a line of fresh blueberries. This is a nut-free, gluten free, dairy free snack packed with protein, fiber and antioxidants. (Thanks Angela)
12. Handful of whole almonds
13. Trail mix with almonds, raisins, dried apricots, cereal
14. Piece of whole fruit with a few whole walnuts
15. Dried apricots with whole shelled walnuts
16. 2 slices of turkey wrapped around 2 bread and butter pickles
17. Apple slices rolled in swiss cheese and turkey
18. Meat roll (turkey,ham,lean roast beef) spread with light cream cheese and shredded carrots
19. Bowl of cereal and milk
20. Bag of cereal for on-the-go
21. A cup of low sodium chicken and vegetable soup with 3 whole wheat crackers.
22. 1 mini bag of “smart pop” microwave popcorn with a spritz of butter spray and 1 tsp sugar
23. Nut-free trail mix with sunflower seeds. Recipe here.